Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Definition of embarrassed...

Big cardio night...4:30 spin class, some ab work, running, 6:15 spin class. I've done this routine before. As long as I keep an eye on my sugars, and keep the snacks coming, it's an awesome time. Tons of endorphins, good calorie burn, one of my favorite nights!

After the 6:15 spin class tonight, someone made a comment to another person about food and calorie problems and we had a very brief discussion.  Yeah, I've had my share of issues, but not so much lately. I actually said the words, "Yep, I'm so glad those days are behind me. I'm pretty much in control of my diet now. Very solid."

I'm a type 2 diabetic....what do you think my blood sugar did about 90 seconds later? Yep....down, down, down.

And I'm down, down, down..... on the floor. Been a long time since this has happened. Luckily it happened at a safe place and juice was on the way. Take my sugar - 68 - which is low, but not horrible, it's been worse. Drink my juice, just kind of hang out, on the floor. Of course at that EXACT moment, my doctor walks by on her way to exercise.

"Hey" she says, "How you doing?"
"Oh fine."
"Really? You're sitting on the floor with a container of juice next to you. That doesn't look fine."
"Uhm, yeah..." awkward silence.  "Blood sugar slipped a bit. All good"
"Well, I'm in here if you need me."

**sigh**

Do I need any more reminders of the great truth in life, "Pride goes before a fall?"

One freaking snack short.
This of course means that a morning workout is out of the question. Unless I want to see if I can trigger this to happen again, I'm going to need 18 - 24 hours of rest and quiet.  Thank goodness I didn't push it even further and enjoy a full blown crash. That's about a 36 hour reset.
As frustrated as I am though, in a way, it's okay. This is just another reminder to love the body I'm in and take care of it.  It's okay to work hard, but the machine has to be fueled. I'm not invincible, as much as I would love to think so.

So home to food. After a low episode like this, it's time to open and just let the food come in. Eggs, soup, bread, trail mix, peanut butter, crackers, bananas.  Calories be damned...time to eat! And there is the problem. The calories I just burned? I'm replacing every damn one of them and then some.

Is this smart?
Is this efficient?
Does this lead to a healthy body and lifestyle?

I think we all know that the answer is no.

**sigh**

It's times like this I struggle against every negative thought out there and I just have to punch through to the other side. It's just a thing.  Don't let one bad night take away all the progress of the past months.

Thoughts to take with me today: It's gonna be okay. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment