Monday, February 11, 2013

"It's not fair...."

I teach middle school. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard this phrase. Generally directed at me when I've asked my kiddos to do something that doesn't fit in with their immediate plans. Such as school work. Funny how they seem to be surprised when they are in school and the teacher gives them work to do. Can't figure that one just comes out of the blue to them time after time.

But then I hear the same phrase come out of my mouth and I blush to hear the "whine-i-ness" of it.

It's not fair that ...

it's so hard to eat right
my knee, hip, shoulder hurts
my body won't do what I want it to do
people don't 'get' me

This attitude is not real attractive to be honest.

On a good day - a day where I have some control over my emotions - I can step back and reflect on what is really REALLY not fair.

It's also not fair that I have...
a house and bed to sleep in every night
food in my fridge and pantry
a body that moves and runs and plays
friends that accept my quirks
children who make me proud
a husband who adores me

We aren't guaranteed any of these wonderful things and there are plenty of people around the world missing any and or all of the givens I so blithely take for granted while whining and wishing and moping I had something else.

Attractive? Nope, not so much.

A while back a friend shared that every night before she goes to bed she records three things she is grateful for in a journal. I pondered that idea, and actually looked for a journal but just didn't see one that spoke to me. Then a few weeks later, another friend, who had no idea of the first conversation handed me the most beautiful bound journal completely out of the blue. That has become my journal of gratitude.

I've recorded about 3 weeks worth of statements of "I am grateful for..." and it is eye-opening to go back and re-read and be reminded of how truly blessed my life is.
No, "it's not fair" to be granted so many wonderful daily gifts. Not fair at all. Instead of whining, I think I'll smile and say "Thanks" to the Source that has provided so richly for me.

Thoughts to take with me today: I am grateful for my life.



1 comment:

  1. Good reminder for me. I have been struggling since September with knee and back injuries and have had more than a few little pity parties. Thanks for the gentle nudge. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete