Friday, July 13, 2012

This feels like my last day of being a 'mom'

Let me explain....

I have two daughters, 22 and 25. Both my girls are wonderful people. I'm so proud to be their mom. Just as different as they can be - but in their hearts, they are truly good adults who will be a blessing to those they come in contact with.

My older daughter married last December and although she is living with me, it's definitely nowhere near the same as it was when she was young. She comes and goes on her own schedule, making plans with her husband (he is military and is overseas for now) Sometimes I feel like I'm running a bed and breakfast where that one is concerned. Our relationship has definitely shifted to less of mom/daughter and more of two adults.

And then there is my younger. Who leaves. Tomorrow. For Medical School. In Atlanta. Ten hours away.

(The sound you hear is my heart sinking to the ground)

I know I will always be their mother, I get that, but it seems the last day of their childhood ends in about 24 hours. By this time tomorrow, my baby will have her own apartment, and will be beginning the next phase of her life. A phase that has hard work and excitement and fun.A phase where she turns into a grownup. A phase in which she can not be called anyone's 'baby.'

One door is opening and one door is closing, and I look back at that closed door and remember so many good times (isn't it funny how the bad times just sort of fade away?). There are flashes of images of Easter dresses and Christmas presents and summer vacations and sleepovers and snuggles and sloppy kisses and all the wonderful things that kids bring into our lives.

I admit, I cry a lot.

And wish....

 I had treasured their childhood more. 
I had been sillier with them.
 I had lived each moment with reckless amazement in their innocence
That this transition didn't hurt so much.

Thoughts to take with me today: Live, breathe, love, every stinkin' moment



No comments:

Post a Comment