Saturday, November 23, 2013

So....you still haven't gained back your weight?

Wish I could say how many times I've had this question, or some version of it, asked to me in the last year. It's a lot.

And I gotta say a couple of times those questions included some arch tone, as if the person was somewhat surprised that I hadn't. 

I also hear dire warnings about how hard it is to maintain, and of how someone's (mother, brother, best friend's cousin, some random neighbor down the road) lost 100 pounds and then regained it.

The first few times, this question rocked my world. Really - I saw myself in that scenario and I spend more time than I should have bending the ear of one or all of my closest friends exacting promises from them to keep me from gaining one pound ever and endless scenarios of "what if?what if? what if?"

There is a stat out there that says "95% of all dieters regain their weight loss." I did a little research into that study and it's unmitigated bull. Not true at all. The study was redone in 1999 under better control and the results then were much different. Actually, MOST dieters kept the weight off for 5 years or more.  

Still, there is that figure of "most" which does mean many, many people worked real hard, the regained. Sure does. And I have a thought on that.

Take a little side trip for a moment.......it's worth it, trust me.

Dr. Wayne Dyer has a wonderful philosophy about intentions. His view is that you when a possible outcome can go a negative way or a positive way, believe the positive. Even if the chance is 1% or 10% or 50%, set your intention towards the positive. Always.  Why not? If the outcome could go either way, and you decide it's going to go the way you don't want it to go, then you've further diminished your chances!!!

So, back to weight loss.


I intend to maintain healthy eating and exercise habits for the rest of my life.

Do I know that this will be hard? Sure do.

Do I know that others have lost and regained? Sure do

Do I know that ""I"" have lost and regained? Sure do

What do I care about?

I care about making good health decisions today. I get that my weight will fluctuate a few pounds from time to time and my happiness is not dependent on some number on a scale. But I also know that if I start putting my trigger foods on my plate, pretty soon I'll be seeing that number go up to places that I won't be able to do the activities I like, which would be a problem.

I'm working on what would be a good answer to someone who asks me about my weight loss and how long will it last; haven't come up with a good reply yet. In time, I will.  For now, I just set my intentions to the outcome I want.

Thought to take with me today: Focus on what you want, see it, feel it, taste it, smell it. Intend that it will be yours - and it will be







7 comments:

  1. My boyfriend thinks I'm paranoid but I get a feeling that some people are secretly hoping that I regain all my weight. Then again, there are a lot of haters out there.

    I love your closing line. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you are paranoid at all!! I've felt that many times. But look at it this way, if someone else lost/regained, and you don't, then it makes that other person look like they are somehow at fault

      Misery does love company. For sure.

      Delete
  2. People can be incredibly annoying! I love the idea of setting your intentions in the positive direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for doing your own research and deciding for yourself what you will make the outcome. I like the research you found about trending toward the positive. That makes me feel good.

    I can relate to safire for sure. I know I've got some 'friends' that would be glad if I regained. It would justify them not losing at all.

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! I was told at 10 years old, by my doctor, that I "could" lose weight, but if I did, I would gain it right back. Once you are fat...you are always fat. Took me a very long time to turn my head around on that one!! I am with you!! I'm thinking positively!!

    Have a fit day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you posted this a while ago, but I'm so happy to see that you're still keeping First Things First - love following all of your positive energy on FaceBook (gorgeous basement, btw!) Have tagged you on a question/answer thing over on my blog if you feel like playing along...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think "I'm taking one day at a time" would be a good answer - which seems to have been an important part of your philosophy.

    Otherwise, "Butt out, you misery guts. It's none of your business." might be appropriate.

    ReplyDelete