Sunday, August 4, 2013

Savasana

At the end of every yoga class, there is a time of rest or savasana. These few minutes allow the body and the mind to absorb the work of the class and more importantly, a time of reflection, a time of quiet, a time of peace.

Savasana is the corpse pose. 

By engaging in this asana at the end of each class, we remind ourselves that life has a beginning, a journey, and an end. It should be a moment of quiet celebration and a gentle acceptance of the passage of yet another piece of our lives. The class is finished, it cannot be repeated, it can only be remembered.

And not just yoga, but so much of what we do is also a cycle.

Our child's first day of school - then the proud walk across the stage
The nervous first date - then the tearful "I do" in front of loved ones
A smile from a stranger - then the oh-so-sweet hug from your best friend
The first kiss - then the closing of a lid

Beginnings and endings - all with tears and smiles and love and sweetness

I celebrated an ending this week. I wish I coud say it was done with grace and dignity. I cannot claim that. In fact, I cried bitterly that something so very important to me had come full circle. I could not celebrate a single thing, I could only think of the loss. But I was wrong to do that. Very.

In the moment we forget 

rainbows only come after storms
pearls are made from grains of sand
mountains must have valleys to even be mountains

and mostly - to be human, we must engage in a full range of emotions

Including tears

The end always comes - and that's a reason to celebrate - and even more of a reason to love every single minute of what we hold dear.

Thoughts to take with me today: Do not cry because it's over; smile because it happened. Namaste


7 comments:

  1. Difficult to do. I hope you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about writing about this helped dull the pain and give me some perspective. Plus time.... time is such a healer

      Thanks

      Delete
  2. All things come to an end. Not always easy to deal with. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we deal with things better when we step back from the emotions and look at it and acknowledge all the parts we do right, wrong, funny, odd, just the whole experience.

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Always blessed to read your insights. They really do tend to come just when I need them most. Hope the new beginning of the school year balances out the sad endings a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you? I hope well. You have not blogged in a long time. I have missed hearing how you are doing with your health and fitness. So a couple things must have happened…..

    You are not blogging anymore because….
    1.) You have achieved your optimal health and fitness!! Or….
    2.) You have given up on your goals of reaching optimal health and fitness….

    In any case, no matter what has happened. I would love to hear from you. I have missed you!!

    If by chance you have achieved your optimal health and fitness, I would love to hear from you!!

    I have been searching through the blog world for bloggers who are working their plans, losing weight and getting fit. A lot of the ones I see, well mostly….they are not doing this. They are blogging about other things, or they are stuck, or they have just quit blogging.

    Frankly I need inspiration! I need hope….I need to see a healthy lifestyle working out in other peoples lives……I want to see success!!!!!

    With that said, if you have achieved your optimal health and fitness, could you please email me at transparent.joy@gmail.com? Because I want to feature you, on my blog, as an Inspirational World Changer!!!

    Yes that’s right….your story just might help change the world and help us fight the battle of obesity!!

    If by chance, you have given up on your goals of reaching optimal health and fitness….I still want to hear from you!!!! Maybe I can help!!!

    You’ve followed my blog, so you know that I have been working at this since 2010. Since I’ve started my journey, I had lost 74 pounds on my own. But the beginning of winter 2013, I started gaining back some weight and ended up gaining 15 pounds back!! Then, August 2013, I found a new plan where I'm eating 6 times a day, drinking plenty of water and working with a free Health Coach! So far, I've lost 28 pounds on the plan and I feel great!! My hope is restored and my goal of reaching 140 pounds will become a reality!!! I’m so EXCITED!!!

    If you or someone you know has been looking to make the same type of changes, I'd love to share more with you on how I have done this!! Message me and let’s talk!

    That's my spiel....but it's so much more than that!! Since starting this plan I've learned so much about food and how to fuel my body. I have clarity of mind - which is fabulous! And I have more energy than I've ever had!! Truly this is a miracle for me!!

    I wanted to share this with you my dear Friend, as I know you have struggled as well. This is the best thing that has happened to me. I finally feel like I will really reach my goals, but also, the biggest Blessing of all is that I'm learning HOW TO KEEP IT OFF!!! Gaining back the weight has always been the biggest fear for me. Now I have confidence that once it's off - it will stay off forever. I am watching several of my friends who are on the plan, who have lost 100+ pounds and have maintained their weight loss for years!! AMAZING!!

    Anyway, let me know if you are interested in hearing more or if you are not interested, could you please forward this information to your friends and family. My goal is to help as many people as I can to beat obesity!!!

    Please know my heart; I only want to help people reach their goals of ultimate health and fitness. I want that for you!!

    Have a fit day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete